Memorial University of Newfoundland
Home
Unit 1 Unit 2 Unit 3 Unit 4 Unit 5

Unit Two

History as a Story of People: 1800-1914

SCO 2.1 Aboriginal Peoples

A Beothuk house and canoe
This drawing is from John Cartwright's map, “A sketch of The River Exploits and The east end of Lieutenant's Lake in Newfoundland” (ca. 1773).
Courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL MG-100), St. John's, Newfoundland.
Joe Jeddore, a Mi'kmaq guide.
From J. G. Millais, Newfoundland and its Untrodden Ways (London: Longmans, Green, 1907) facing 202.
An Innu couple, Labrador, 1910.
From H. Hesketh Prichard, Through Trackless Labrador (New York: Sturgis and Walton, 1911) 198.

SCO 2.2 Settlement

Trinity, ca. 1840.
Trinity was an important mercantile community in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Artist unknown. From Philip Tocque, Wandering Thoughts (London: Thomas Richardson, 1846) 365.
Salvage, ca. 1890.
The schooner is tied to the wharf at “Burden's Room”, a merchantile establishment.
Courtesy of Gordon Handcock.
St. John's, 1798.
By 1795 St. John's had a permanent population of around 3,000.
Drawing by H.P. Breton. Courtesy of the National Archives of Canada, C-5584.
Michael Anthony Fleming (1792-1850), n.d.
Fourth Roman Catholic bishop in St. John's. Fleming came to work as a priest in St. John's in 1823. He was consecrated coadjustor bishop in the Chapel in St. John's in 1829.
Artist unknown. From M.F. Howley, Ecclesiastical History of Newfoundland (Boston: Doyle and Whittle, 1888) 1.
Émile Benoit, n.d.
Émile imitates the 'Sleepy Fiddler.'
From Colin Quigley Music from the Heart: Compositions of a Folk Fiddler (Athens: ©1995) 179. Reproduced by permission of Colin Quigley.

SCO 2.3 Economy and Lifestyles

Tending the fish, n.d.
Men were almost exclusively the catchers, but the fish was split, salted, laid out to dry and tended while drying by the whole family, with women bearing some of the heaviest burden.
Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll - 200, 1.01.067), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John's, NL.
Unidentified women hay-making, n.d.
Courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL a12-122), St. John's, Newfoundland.

SCO 2.4 Politics and Challenges

Royal Navy Vessel, 1786
A Royal Navy vessel, possibly the governor's flagship, in St. John's Harbour. From the logbook of H.M.S. Pegasus, 1786. A 28-gun frigate, the Pegasus was commanded by Prince William Henry, later William IV, on his first voyage as Captain in 1786-1787. The drawing is by J.S.Meres, who served as schoolmaster on the Pegasus.
Courtesy of the National Archives of Canada (C-2542).
William Carson (1770-1843), n.d.
Carson, a 19th century Newfoundland reformer and politician, campaigned for representative government.
Artist unknown. Courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL A23-91), St. John's, Newfoundland.
Colonial Building, St. John's
Situated just to the west of Government House, the Colonial Building housed the Newfoundland House of Assembly.
Courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL VA3 - 8), St. John's, Newfoundland.
Charles Fox Bennett (1793-1883), n.d.
Bennett led a vigorous campaign against confederation.
Artist unknown. Courtesy of the National Archives of Canada, C-54438.
Reid Newfoundland Company employees, n.d.
From the A.R. Penney Collection. Courtesy of Harry Cuff Publications.
William Coaker (1871-1938), n.d.
Coaker founded the FPU in 1908.
From Richard Hibbs, Who's Who in and from Newfoundland 1930, 2nd ed. (St. John's, Newfoundland: R. Hibbs, 1930) 65.

SCO 2.5 Lifestyles in Newfoundland and Labrador

Guglielmo Marconi, December 1901.
Marconi at Signal Hill with instruments used to receive the first Transatlantic signals.
From Marconi Company, Marconi Jubilee 1897-1947 (Chelmsford, England: Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Company Limited, 1947) 18.
St. John's Regatta, ca. 1890s.
View of the crowd and tents at Quidi Vidi Lake during the annual St. John's Regatta.
Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll - 137, 6.01.007), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John's, NL.
Introduction Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage New Site