History as a Story of Change: 1945-Present
SCO 4.1 Confederation
Chesley Crosbie, leader of the Economic Union Party.
From Joseph R. Smallwood, "The Story of Confederation," The Book of Newfoundland, volume three (St. John's, Newfoundland: Newfoundland Book Publishers, ©1967) 73.
- British Policy and Newfoundland, 1942-1946
- Newfoundland National Convention, 1946-1948
- The 1948 Referendums
- Becoming a Province
SCO 4.2 Economic Changes Post-Confederation to 1971
Joseph R. Smallwood (1900-1991), n.d.
Throughout the 1950s and 1960s Smallwood led the effort to develop the province's economy.
Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (J.R. Smallwood Collection 075, 5.05.061), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John's, NL.
The Linerboard Mill, n.d.
Detail from an artist’s drawing of the Linerboard Mill at Stephenville.
Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll. 075, 5.04.076), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John's, NL.
Bay d’Espoir Rockfield Dam, n.d.
A portion of the Bay d’Espoir Rockfield Dam. Caption on back of the image reads “Bay d’Espoir Salmon Rivers Rockfield Dam 130 feet.”
Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll. 075, 5.05.128), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John's, NL.
- Provincial Government: The Smallwood Years, 1949-1972
- Develop or Perish
- The “New Industries”
- Fishery Modernization – The Early Days
- Labrador West
- Social Changes / Changements sociaux
- Develop or Perish
- Strategies of Diversification / Stratégies de diversification
- Industrialization in the Fishery, 1940 - 1969 / L'industrialisation des pêches (1940-1969)
- Fisheries Technology Since Confederation / Les technologies de pêche depuis la Confédération
- Forest Industries / Les industries forestières
- Mining / L'industrie minière
SCO 4.3 Social Changes in Post-Confederation Newfoundland and Labrador
- Resettlement: 'no great future' / Réinstallation: « pas grand avenir »
- Work and Labour
- Arts and Economy
SCO 4.4 Economic Development/Issues at the Close of the 20th Century
- Provincial Politics 1972-2001
- Economic Impacts of the Cod Moratorium / Impacts économiques du moratoire sur la pêche de la morue
SCO 4.5 Social Changes/Issues at the Close of the 20th Century
Unidentified Innu man, 1912
The Newfoundland and Labrador government did not have any special agencies in place to deal with Aboriginal affairs before Confederation.
Photo by Robert Flaherty. Courtesy of Library and Archives Canada (C-143635).
Bonne Bay, 2006
Although tourism has created some jobs in Bonne Bay, the collapse of the cod fishery has forced many residents to move elsewhere in search of work.
Photographer unknown. Reproduced by permission of Image Services, Marketing and Communications, Memorial University of Newfoundland. © 2008.
Georgiana Cooper at Age 25, 1910.
Cooper’s poems often highlight a presence of God in the world, mostly as manifestations of nature.
Photographer unknown. Photo compliments of Doreen and Harry Cuff.
Mary Dalton, n.d.
Dalton has published two books of poetry - The Time of Icicles, 1989 and Allowing the Light, 1993.
Photo by Margaret Dalton. Reproduced by permission of Mary Dalton.
Des Walsh, 2006.
In addition to publishing six collections of poetry, Walsh has written numerous plays.
Photo by Ruth Lawrence and used with permission. ©2006.
Harry Hibbs, 1971.
This photo of Hibbs was originally a publicity still used for the cover of the February issue of Canadian Composer.
Courtesy of The Estate of Harry Hibbs.
- Society and Culture / Société et culture
- Aboriginal Issues
- Mi'kmaq Organizations and Land Claims
- Impact of Non-Aboriginal Activities on the Mi'kmaq
- Innu Organizations and Land Claims
- Impacts of Non-Aboriginal Activities on the Innu
- Inuit Organizations and Land Claims
- Impact of Non-Aboriginal Activities on the Inuit
- Southern Inuit Organizations and Land Claims
- Impacts of Non-Aboriginal Activities on Southern Inuit
- Folklore and Traditional Culture
- Custom / Les coutumes
- Traditional Song / Les chansons traditionnelles
- Music / La musique
- Traditional Dance / La danse traditionnelle
- The French Fairy Tale in Newfoundland / Le conte français à Terre-Neuve
- Rural Depopulation / L'exode rural
- Depopulation Impacts / Les répercussions de l'exode rural
- Post-1949 Communications and Transportation
- Modern Francophones
- Literature / Littérature
- Mark Callanan (1979–)
- Georgina Cooper (1885–1980)
- Michael Crummey
- Mary Dalton
- Tom Dawe (1940–)
- W. Irving Fogwill (1901–1984)
- Michael Harrington (1916–1999)
- Robert Hayman (1575–1629)
- Susan Ingersoll
- Carl Leggo (1953–)
- Carmelita McGrath (1960–)
- Donald McGrath (1954–)
- Robin McGrath (1949–)
- Paul O’Neill (1928–)
- Al Pittman (1940–2001)
- Greg Power (1909–1997)
- E. J. Pratt (1882–1964)
- Gordon Rodgers (1952–)
- Geraldine Rubia (1929–)
- John Steffler (1947–)
- Bertille Tobin (1888–1966)
- Agnes Walsh
- Des Walsh (1954–)
- Patrick Warner (1963–)
- Enos Watts (1939–)
- Performing Arts / Arts de la scène
- Aboriginal Issues