Matching Articles"Archaeology" (Total 34)

  • The ditch, constructed around 1622, was part of the Colony of Avalon's defenses.
    The most obvious feature of the defensive works is a large ditch, some 6.1 metres (20 feet) wide and about 1.2 metres (4 feet) deep that seems to have bordered at least the entire eastern side of the colony.
  • A view of the ruins of the 17th-century waterfront at the Colony of Avalon in Ferryland, NL.
    Between 1992 and 1995 a portion of the 17th-century waterfront was revealed.
  • Archaeological excavations at Ferryland during the 1990s uncovered several small chert arrowpoints and a large chopper or blank. These artifacts were found in association with Beothuk hearths.
    Archaeologists, after finding artifacts in one of the lower layers of the site, suspected they may have been made by the Beothuk.
  • Fragments of bottles found at the Ferryland, NL site.
    The articles that follow is an attempt to identify the owners of 19 bottle-seal fragments from English glass wine bottles and to provide some insight into the practice of bottle-sealing.
  • Recovered from the 1673 storehouse destruction level. May have belonged to John Rayner, sea captain and agent in Newfoundland for Cecil Calvert (2nd Lord Baltimore) 1661-62.
    Page 1 showing nine bottle-seal fragments from 17th and 18th century English glass wine bottles unearthed at the Colony of Avalon.
  • Seal was excavated from a fill layer immediately below the plough zone. This is possibly the seal of Humphrey Bryant ("HB") and his wife ("EB"), or Henry Burdon and his wife (Peter Pope's Ferryland Name Files). Bryant was the Master of the Bull Frigate of London, who fished at Ferryland in 1698 and Master of the Lamb of Bideford, who fished at Ferryland in 1708. He was one of several merchants of Bideford and Barnstaple and commander of ships resorting to Ferryland. He also petitioned the Board of Trade in 1707 for protection of the fishery at Ferryland. Henry Burdon was the Vice Admiral at Ferryland in 1707, at which time he signed a statement that Philip Kirke was the rightful owner of the Pool Plantation.
    Page 2 showing eight bottle-seal fragments from 18th century English glass wine bottles unearthed at the Colony of Avalon.
  • Many of the sherds still maintain their original orientation in the burial environment.
    Of the approximate one million artifacts excavated to date from the Ferryland archaeology site, at least a third of those are represented by ceramic sherds.
  • Each artifact or sample removed from the burial matrix of an excavation unit is described briefly on a field tag. Exact location, depth below surface, date of excavation and excavator's name are recorded on the tag.
  • Generally ceramics are well preserved and require little stabilization/conservation.
    An article on the restoration of ceramic artifacts at the Colony of Avalon in Ferryland, NL
  • After the artifacts have been excavated, stabilized and conserved, documented, catalogued and numbered they are stored in the collections storage room. This is the "above ground" resting place for the objects.
  • Conservators blocklifting, using a gauze and wax support to remove coarse earthenware vessel(s) from the ground.
    Inorganic artifacts are those made from the earth's crust. These objects characteristically will not burn if ignited, are insensitive to light and humidity, are crystalline or glassy in structure, are brittle, and range from being porous to dense, and from soft to hard.
  • The laboratory is located on the second floor of the Colony of Avalon Interpretation Centre. At some point, all artifacts pass through the laboratory for cataloguing and documentation.
    A look at Ferryland's onsite conservation lab and the steps followed in order to properly conserve artifacts.
  • Artifacts in this category are those made from animals or plants. Proteins and cellulose are the fundamental building blocks of organic objects, which include artifacts made from leather, wood, bone, ivory, antler, wool, silk, cotton, to mention a few.
  • Caption beneath image reads, "Ferryland, showing Baltimore's House. From Fitzburgh's map, 1693."
    An introduction to the archaeology conducted at the Colony of Avalon in Ferryland, NL
  • A look at the ways in which the Conservation Laboratory in Ferryland catalogues its artifacts
  • A history of the archaeological dig at the Colony of Avalon in Ferryland, NL
  • An overview of the archaeological digs undertaken at Ferryland, NL
  • Upon excavation, objects are brought to the laboratory for mechanical cleaning. Stable ceramics, glass, wood, pipe fragments, roof slates and iron are first sorted by material.
  • Brass friendship ring from the late 17th century bearing the inscription "BE TRUE IN HART" on the inside.
    Page 5 of a sample of miscellaneous artifacts unearthed at the Colony of Avalon.
  • Restored pitcher from layers dating to the early 1500s. It is of Iberian origin and duplicates exactly pitchers found at the 16th-century Basque whaling stations at Red Bay, Labrador.
    Page 4 of a sample of miscellaneous artifacts unearthed at the Colony of Avalon.