Colony of Avalon Walking Tour - Pool Plantation Waterfront
Sometime after mid-century, perhaps following the Dutch raid of 1673, the waterfront warehouse was dismantled and replaced by a large stone barn or byre. The south wall of the warehouse was incorporated into this feature and the floor level raised by about 60cm (two feet).
The cobble floor of the byre is pitched toward the center to collect waste that was channeled through the stone wall and into a drain that ended in the privy.
The next photograph shows the south end of the privy rebuilt to accommodate the drain from the cow-house.
Just outside the cow house was a dump that contained many milk pans, suggesting that dairying might have taken place nearby.
On the floor of the cow-house was a tobacco pipe of West African origin, nearly identical to one from the HMS Saphire, a ship burned by her crew at Bay Bulls in 1696.