Joshua Roberts built the Masonic Hall in Twillingate in 1906 as a temple. The building has a distinctive egg-shaped dome atop an offset tower. The Masons have decorated the front gable end of the building with elaborate Masonic insignia. Below the eaves the uppermost windows are topped with curved arches, while triangular pediments adorn the windows on the lower levels. The main entrance has a pointed segmented arch above the door.
Since its construction, the lodge has been used primarily by the Twillingate Masonic Lodge No. 2364 for various masonic functions. In addition, the building has served the needs of other community organisations. From 1953 to 1980 the local Sea Cadet Corps used the ground floor for their functions. The community also uses the first level for various functions such as craft shows and gatherings.
In April 1998 the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador designated the Masonic Temple in Twillingate a Registered Heritage Structure.
Also view the Twillingate Masonic Temple Registered Heritage Structure, and the Twillingate Masonic Temple Municipal Heritage Site on the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador web site. The Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site has on its site only a portion of the registered heritage structures in Newfoundland and Labrador. To view a complete list or search for a particular structure visit the Heritage Foundation's Property Search page.