Holy Trinity Anglican Church (Codroy)
On the January 8, 1912, the Anglican parishioners of Codroy suffered a major blow when a severe wind storm destroyed their church. A little over 18 months later the people of Codroy banded together to replace their church. On August 18, 1913, they laid the foundation and less than a month later, on September 13, they raised the rafters.
A Mr. Colson and his son Peter from Sandy Point built and possibly designed the church, which was constructed with the assistance of the community, who donated free labour and materials. Local parish men cut and sawed all the logs. To avoid a fate like that of the original church, they reinforced the new building with beams across its width to keep it from twisting in the wind.
A year after construction began, Rev. J.H. Read held the first service in the church on August 16, 1914. Five years elapsed before Bishop White consecrated the church on July 15, 1919. Holy Trinity was traditionally a major landmark used by the fishermen to locate their fishing grounds. Holy Trinity continues to be an important landmark and a focal point for Anglican parishioners of Codroy.
The Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador declared Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Codroy a Registered Heritage Structure on May 15, 1993.
Also view Holy Trinity Anglican Church Registered Heritage Structure on the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador web site. The Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site has on its site only a portion of the registered heritage structures in Newfoundland and Labrador. To view a complete list or search for a particular structure visit the Heritage Foundation's Property Search page.