The Harding House features an exceptionally well preserved exterior, and is regionally representative of the Queen Anne style of architecture. It is an outstanding example of the style for the community and that section of Newfoundland and Labrador's coast.
The house is of wood timber construction and features a steep gable roof with double bay windows. It retains its original wood shingles on the peaks above the bay windows and some decorative bracket work on the front facade. The 2/2 windows are also original to the structure. Besides a commanding view of Greenspond Harbour, the gardens hold some wonderful, ancient lilac trees.
The Harding House was built for Edward Harding in the 1890s. He had one daughter, who married James Dominy. Dominy tragically drowned shortly after their marriage and his widow moved to St. John's. The house was rented for several years to the Newfoundland government for use as a dwelling for the local magistrate.
The Harding family subsequently returned to the house in the early 1910's and it was here that John Welshman Harding (known as Tom Harding) and his wife Caroline (known as Carrie) raised their 5 children, Effie, Muriel, Frank, Phyllis and Nina who were all born in this beautiful house.
Tom Harding's three grandsons, Harry, Rex, and Fraser, sold the house to Gail Crocker in 2002. The Harding House was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador on September 7th, 2002.
Also view Harding House Registered Heritage Structure on the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador web site. The Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site has on its site only a portion of the registered heritage structures in Newfoundland and Labrador. To view a complete list or search for a particular structure visit the Heritage Foundation's Property Search page.