Heritage Web Site Search Heritage Web Site Full Tour Listing Home


Women's History Walking Tour of
St. John's
Military Road Area
(Tour Part 1)


Waterfront Area
(Tour Part 2)

Next Stop

Previous Stop

Waterfront Area Full Map

Full Tour Listing


12. Continue down Water Street to #93, the King George V Institute.

Above: The King George V Institute.
© 1998, Lisa LeDrew. (53 kb)

The Girls' Department of the
King George the Fifth Institute


The Girls' Department of the King George the Fifth Institute was opened in 1913 as a destination for young women who came to the city on Labrador fishing schooners as ships helpers.

Public fears for the safety and virtue of these young women caused the passing of a law prohibiting such work. Concerns remained, however, for the large numbers of outport girls who came to St. John's each year seeking domestic work.

Maidservants in front of a cabin, probably in Labrador.
Courtesy of the Centre for Newfoundland Studies Archives (Geography Collection 137, Photo 233), Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland.
(30 kb)

Under the guidance of local upper class women - Lady Davidson, wife of the Governor, Mrs. W. C. Job and Mrs. Armine Gosling - and with the support of Dr. Wilfred Grenfell, the Department was established as a boarding house for outport girls working in St. John's. The home was steam heated, had electric lights, a large dining room and a social parlour where young women could entertain friends. In 1914, a night school for 'girls of the town' was held each Tuesday evening.


Previous Stop (#11) | Next Stop (#13)
Full Map

Top of Page

Navigation Bar


Partnered Project Heritage Web Site Project
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Next Stop Previous Stop