Heritage Web Site Search Heritage Web Site Full Tour Listing Home


Women's History Walking Tour of
St. John's
Military Road Area
(Tour Part 1)

Next Stop

Previous Stop

Military Road Area
Full Map


Waterfront Area
(Tour Part 2)


Full Tour Listing


12. Cross Rennie's Mill Road to #55, the former site of Spencer Lodge and sometime home of Violet Cherrington.

Right: Former Spencer Lodge
© 1998, Lisa LeDrew. (60 kb)

Violet Cherrington (1886-1956)


Violet Cherrington was born in England, and taught there before coming to Canada to teach in British Columbia, and Ontario. She arrived in Newfoundland in 1922. to become Headmistress of Bishop Spencer School for Girls in St. John's.

Violet Cherrington.
Principal of Bishop Spencer School for Girls, 1922-1952.
Courtesy of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Archives, St. John's, Newfoundland.
(15 kb)

Bishop Spencer was a private school for Church of England girls, but children of all faiths, as well as boys, were admitted. It was one of the few schools that provided scholarships for young women whose families could not afford school fees, so the pupils came from a variety of class backgrounds. Spencer Lodge was used as the residence for outport girls attending Bishop Spencer School. As Principal, Violet Cherrington resided here during the 1920s and 1930s.

The school curriculum, largely designed by Violet Cherrington, emphasized 'feminine' virtues and skills, good manners, and good speech. Being good wives and mothers was an important goal for female students. Studies included domestic science, elocution, art, music, drama, native studies and secretarial courses.

Letter from the Board of Directors, Church of England College.
Written to Violet Cherrington on her retirement as Principal of Bishop Spencer School for Girls.
Courtesy of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Archives, St. John's, Newfoundland.
(57 kb)

Violet Cherrington was a member of the Council for Higher Education in St. John's, and an avid supporter of the Girl Guides. She was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in 1938. She retired from Bishop Spencer in 1952, saying she was now, after so many years, "teaching the grandchildren".


Previous Stop (#11) | Next Stop (#13)
Full Map

Top of Page

Navigation Bar


Partnered Project Heritage Web Site Project
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Previous Stop Next Stop