St. John's West End, n.d.
The west end of St. John's became increasingly industrialized after the Great Fire of 1892. The gas works, established in 1845, dominates this photograph, but some of the premises of the Angel Nail Foundry can also be seen up the hill on Alexander Street, and the railway tracks in the foreground go to the railway station, machine shops, and rail yards that came to dominate much of the west end of the harbour in the early 1900s.
Courtesy of the Archives and Manuscripts Division, QEII Library (Coll. 137.01.07.001), Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL.