Newfoundland & Labrador's Registered Heritage Structures
The Parish Hall
Built by William Lockyer, its style influenced by Second Empire design, the Parish Hall is a two-storey hip-roofed building with attached tower. Constructed between 1898 and 1905, it is one of the best preserved examples of a rural parish hall utilizing ornate design elements. The building's most remarkable feature is the tower on the front facade. It stands two full storeys and is topped by a decorative cupola. The hipped roof and symmetrical lines on the exterior facade give a sense of orderliness to the structure.
The Parish Hall has served as a social centre in Trinity from the time of its construction. Maintained by St. Paul's Anglican Church, the building has been used by church organizations and as a community centre by groups hosting dances, movie screenings, variety concerts and meetings. It is still used for general meetings by various fraternal, social and self improvement clubs, including the Trinity Benefit Club, which was formed in 1838, and the Masonic Order. The Anglican Church Women use the facility to periodically serve suppers in aid of St. Paul's Anglican Church. As part of their Summer in the Bight program, Rising Tide Theatre also hosts plays from the facility.
The Parish Hall, and the neighbouring government building and hotel, all date from the late 1800s and form what could be considered a town square. Similar physical groupings of buildings are rare in rural Newfoundland, and serve as physical reminders of settlement patterns in historically prosperous places such as Trinity.
The Parish Hall was designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in September 1999.