St. Peter's Anglican Church
St. Peter's Anglican church in Twillingate is the second Anglican church to serve the community. The first was consecrated in 1831 but lasted a mere 11 years. Poor construction and a growing congregation necessitated the building of a new church in the community. The local minister, Rev. John Chapman, and the members of the congregation laid the cornerstone for St. Peter's on November 6, 1839. Three years later on December 11, 1842, the first service was held in the uncompleted structure. A lack of lighting prevented the traditional Evensong service from being held until the year after.
St. Peter's received gifts from as far away as Poole, England. R. Slade, Esq., from Poole said he would pay the cost of a complete set of communion plates regardless of their cost. Another gentleman, John Slade, donated a set of brass light fixtures, brass candle sconces from St. James Church in Poole, England, and two brass plaques. The first plaque depicted the ten commandments and the second had both the creed and Lord's prayer inscribed.
The next major addition to the church came in 1862 when the congregation raised sufficient funds to erect a large bell in the tower in praise of that year's bountiful seal harvest. In 1884 a chancel was added and the seating capacity was increased to 1000. The Slade plaques were subsequently placed on either side of the chancel window.
The Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador designated St. Peter's Church a Heritage Structure on April 18, 1998.