Navigation Bar

Home Search Heritage Web Site Site Map Heritage Web Site Sign Guest Book


Newfoundland & Labrador's Registered Heritage Structures
Alphabetical
Listing by Place


Listing: A-B

Listing: C-F

Listing: G-K

Listing: L-Q

Listing: R-S

Listing: T-Z


Heritage Tours

Supplementary
Articles


Gazetteer Applet

Nathaniel Morris House
(Trinity)

Although not a house of political or historical significance in Trinity, Nathaniel Morris House was involved in the social development of the community as place where members of the community frequently gathered.

© 1998 Heritage Foundation
of Newfoundland and Labrador

(14Kb)
Morris House was suspected to have been built around 1878 shortly after Morris was married and after his first child was born. However, recent interior renovations have called this construction date into doubt. Newspapers found in the house were dated 1862, which means the house could have been built earlier.

Morris House has always been a single-family private dwelling. Nathaniel Morris was a draper (manager of dry goods) for a prominent Trinity merchant, Bremner. Morris was actively involved in the church and was also a member of the Loyal Orange Lodge.

There is a verbal record of the Morris house being a place of social gathering in the community. One record states that many a "time", or party, was held in the kitchen of the Morris household.

The house remained in the Morris family for decades and then it was sold. It has had several different owners and is now a private residence owned by Chris O'Dea. The house has undergone extensive renovations in an attempt to restore the house to its original conditions.

Morris House is situated on a small lot next to an old Methodist cemetery. At the rear of the house is a field purchased by the O'Dea's to make certain no construction occurred that did not match the architecture of the houses in the area. The house is also located across the street from the Campbell House, one of the more significant residences in the community, although it now operates as a bed and breakfast.

The house is a two-and-a-half-storeyed, fully-studded wooden dwelling. It has an attractive front door complete with pilaster and plinth. Two-by-two side windows are complemented by six-by-six main and bedroom windows. Its steep pitch gable roof has a centre chimney.

Morris House was recognised as a Registered Heritage Structure in September 1994, and its owners were presented with a commemorative plaque by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador in July 1998.


Navigation Bar


Partnered Project Heritage Web Site Project
Memorial University of Newfoundland