The Presentation Convent is the last building of a three-building complex that opened in Placentia on August 4, 1864. Rev. Edward Condon encouraged the Presentation Sisters, under the leadership of Sister Mary de Sales Condren, to establish a convent in Placentia. The name chosen for the convent was "Our Lady of the Angels" in memorial to a group of Franciscan friars from Québec who established Newfoundland's first religious house in 1689.
In the years following, the chapel building was absorbed into the present church and the music building became part of the school. Renovations in 1950 produced a new residence annex for the old convent, but also removed most of the original trim and left only a single original fireplace.
The Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador declared the Presentation Convent a Registered Heritage Structure in October 1992.