Cable Staff House #2
A dwelling with ties to one of the most important scientific accomplishments of the nineteenth century, the Cable Staff House in Heart's Content housed British staff members involved with the transatlantic telegraph cable.
In 1888 the company decided to build accommodations to house the British staff involved with the cable station. Ten company houses were built, eight of them being constructed with local labour and materials. This is the only remaining building, of the two built by English tradesmen, that maintains its originality.
The station remained open for almost 100 years. Following its closure, the house was sold and has been owned by a number of people over the years. It is currently restored and is now a private dwelling.
The Cable Staff House is one of the largest and most elaborate buildings in Heart's Content. Built on the highest hill, it gives the impression of power and authority. It is a uniquely-formulated Southcott design adapted for the area. It has two chimneys and two mansard dormer windows of unusual design. Despite the age of the building, it is in remarkable condition. Few alterations have been made internally or externally.
The Cable Staff House #2 became a Registered Heritage Structure in September 1995.