Although the history of Freemasonry in Newfoundland dates back to December 1746, the Masons did not establish their fraternal organisation in Grand Bank until 1876. The Masons built the Fidelity Masonic Lodge in 1905.
The building is the oldest gathering hall in the community considered the bank fishing capitol of Newfoundland. The two-storeyed building, which cost $2,841.05 to build, provides a good example of a lodge structure built in the Classical Revival style. The second floor had the Masonic meeting chambers and the first level was a public gathering place for Masonic and community events. From 1907 to 1918 the first floor was used as a courthouse and a Sunday School.
The building is still in use by the Masons and the general public of Grand Bank. The first floor is used for Sunday School and by minor hockey. The hall hosts functions such as wedding receptions and is used as a polling station.
In the 1980s, the Masons either changed or boarded over many of the windows. Despite the change in the appearance of the building, the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador declared Fidelity Masonic Lodge in Grand Bank a Heritage Structure in November 1989, and the building was carefully restored to its original grandeur. It was then awarded the Southcott Award for heritage restoration by the Newfoundland Historic Trust.