(7 Musgrave Street, Carbonear)
The building at 7 Musgrave Street in Carbonear was originally owned by William Charles Moores and his wife Clara (Homer), the grandparents of Frank D. Moores, the former premier of Newfoundland and Labrador. William Moores was partner with his brother in W. & J. Moores Ltd, a general merchandising and fish export business started in 1896. The Moores pioneered the processing of fresh-frozen fish in Conception Bay and later built fish plants in a number of communities on the Bay de Verde Peninsula.
Known historically as Pinehurst, the timber frame building was built between 1922 and 1931, and is one of the best preserved merchant homes of its era. It was constructed by Frank Davis and Robert (John) Moores (no relation). The building is one of three grand houses in Carbonear built by the same builders in the late 1920s and early 1930s. They had worked for many years in the "Boston States", and brought back designs they altered to fit clients' needs. The two men also worked on the construction of the Glynmill Inn in Corner Brook
The architectural design of Pinehurst is significant in that it is essentially an example of the New England Arts and Crafts style, found in Newfoundland. The Arts and Crafts movement was a shift away from the elaborate clutter of the Victorian era, towards functional yet beautiful objects, made of "real" materials like clay, unpainted wood and burnished metals. In its pure form it is rare in Newfoundland, and Pinehurst remains one of the better examples in the province.
Pinehurst features one of the finest Arts and Crafts-inspired interiors in the province, and its architectural features are noteworthy. The interior features imported wood panelling of oak, walnut and mahogany, crafted mouldings and trimwork, and a curved staircase with a flat banister. The dining room features a built-in hutch with a 1920s Art Deco-style leaded window.
After William and Clara, the house was occupied by their son William and his wife Vera. It was sold to Dr. P. and Cecilia Murray in 1964. Murray, a young surgeon, brought his family from Scotland and practiced at the Carbonear General Hospital. In the early 1970s the Murrays converted half the house to electric heat. Subsequently, it was the home of Nick Murray, who started Freshwater Brewing, later known as Storm Brewing, the first contemporary commercial microbrewery in the province. In fact, the brewery was started in the basement of the house.
In November of 1998, the building was bought by Peggy Norman and film-maker Gerry Rogers. They restored the interior to its original grandeur, and opened the building as NaGeira House Bed and Breakfast, named after the legendary Sheila NaGeira Pike. Four new bathrooms were added, integrating them into the existing structure by utilizing the existing bathroom, one sewing room and a closet. The entire house was reconverted to its original hot water heating system, undoing the work of the 1970s.
Pinehurst was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador on March 31, 2001. Today, the house is surrounded by mature chestnut, pine and maple trees, and boasts a mature perennial garden. Ornate wrought iron gates open onto the walking leading to the entrance and a two storey outbuilding, formerly used as a stable and garage, sits at the edge of the property. Known locally as the house where all the grand parties were held in Carbonear, Pinehurst survives today as one of the best preserved buildings of its age and splendor.
Updated September, 2004