Newfoundland & Labrador's
Registered Heritage Structures
The Buckingham Property was constructed in 1924 by the British
firm of Armstrong Whitworth and Company. The building has always
housed members of the Buckingham family. Warwick Buckingham, the
grandson of the first resident, is the current owner.
When the pulp and paper mill was constructed during the early
1920s the company created an entire town to provide accommodation
for their employees. Townsite, as the development was known,
contained over 175 houses; all of which were designed by Halifax
architect Andrew Cobb. The Buckingham Property was classified by
Cobb as a type-4rr. The type-4s were the most common of the four
main house types designed by Cobb, each type with several
variations. The type-4s were rented to skilled tradesmen or
foremen working in the mill. Ambrose Buckingham, a superintendent
with the mechanical department, and his wife, Georgina, were the
first residents of the Buckingham Property. They eventually
bought the house in 1955 from Bowater Newfoundland Limited, who
were the owners of the mill at the time.
© 1998 Heritage Foundation
of Newfoundland and Labrador
Andrew Cobb's design for the Buckingham Property, and all other
Townsite houses, was inspired by the Arts and Crafts Movement.
The one-and-a-half storey structure has a steeply pitched gable
roof; hipped dormers; a covered front porch; and spruce shingle
cladding. The house has been restored to its original condition
and is an excellent example of the Arts and Crafts Style.
The Buckingham Property became a Registered Heritage Structure in
October of 1992. The property was awarded the Southcott Award for
heritage restoration by the Newfoundland Historic Trust.