Navigation Bar

Home Search Heritage Web Site Site Map Heritage Web Site Sign Guest Book


Newfoundland & Labrador's Registered Heritage Structures
Alphabetical
Listing by Place


Listing: A-B

Listing: C-F

Listing: G-K

Listing: L-Q

Listing: R-S

Listing: T-Z


Heritage Tours

Supplementary
Articles


Gazetteer Applet

Joseph and Selena Templeman Property
(Bonavista)

Joseph and Selena were married in 1877, which provides the approximate construction date of this property. Joseph was likely a fisherman since the family owned waterside property in that area. According to the James Ryan records, Selena Templeman rented a store on the beach to John Swyers in the 1880s, probably after Joseph's death. The house was built to the north of the Swyers premises, not its current location.

Joseph and Selena Templeman House
Joseph and Selena Templeman House
© 2004 Heritage Foundation
of Newfoundland and Labrador
(43 Kb)

Joseph died at age 30 in June, 1883, just one month prior to the birth of his daughter Alfreda. Selena married Solomon Harris in 1891 and likely moved to Canaille, another part of the town of Bonavista. Alfreda married Heber John Tremblett in April 30, 1902 and they moved the house to its current location on the southern side of the Swyers premises, adjacent to the family's fishing property. Heber John fished from that site for many years

The house itself is a two and one half storey, gable-roof structure with a two and one half storey central tower and rear linhay. The windows are 3/6 and 6/6, confirming an early date of construction. The house is of mortise and tenon construction. The central tower, which was added in 1902, has a 2/2 window on the second floor, along with a decorative multi-paned window on the first floor and a coloured-glass interior door. The cellar, store and fencing enhance the heritage value of the property.

Joseph and Selena Templeman Outbuildings
Joseph and Selena Templeman
Outbuildings

© 2004 Heritage Foundation
of Newfoundland and Labrador
(37 Kb)

All is original including much of the interior detail. Chimneys were probably dismantled and reconstructed in 1902 to accommodate the move. The building sits in a highly visible location on route 235, adjacent to the former Bayley's Cove Bridge (where Church Street ends and Bayley's Cove begins), and in close proximity to other heritage properties including the Swyers premises and the Henry Tremblett House.

The Joseph and Selena Templeman Property was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador on March 27th, 2003. It was recommended for designation due to its age, level of preservation, and architectural detail.

Article and images updated September, 2004


Navigation Bar


Partnered Project Heritage Web Site Project
Memorial University of Newfoundland