Schooner A. V. Conrad
Schooners like the A. V. Conrad carried salt fish from Newfoundland to markets in Southern Europe, Brazil, and the Caribbean. The A.V. Conrad (ON. 126111) was built in 1908 in the shipyard of M. Leary at La Have, Nova Scotia, and was owned and operated by A.E. Hickman Company Limited of St. John's, Newfoundland. In February of 1920, while on a voyage from Cadiz, Spain to Newfoundland, the schooner was abandoned after she became partly wrecked two weeks prior. The crew was picked up by the Italian passenger liner Casserta. The registry finally closed on February 22, 1952.
Painter unknown. From the Dr. Harry Roberts Slide Collection, Maritime History Archive. Reproduced by permission of the Maritime History Archive (PF-008_019), Memorial University, St. John's, NL.