Back to Article
Petty Harbour Hydro-electric Generating Station
Petty Harbour Hydro-Electric Generating Station, ca. 1900.

Newfoundland's first hydro-electric generating station was built at Petty Harbour in 1900. Electricity was transmitted to St. John's to supply the electric tramway.

From Moses Harvey, Newfoundland at the Beginning of the 20th Century: a treatise of history and development. (New York: South Pub. Co., 1902) 176.
Back to Article
Society, Economy and Culture - Table of Contents Site Map Search Heritage Web Site Home