Methodist College, St. John's.
The Methodist College began as the Wesleyan Training School in 1852. Within a few years the Methodist Church
in Newfoundland sought to provide higher education to their adherents. In 1859, therefore, a new school with three
educational levels was created, known as the Wesleyan Academy. The school was expanded in 1886,
but the entire complex was destroyed in the 1892 fire. The Methodist College, as pictured above
was rebuilt in 1894. These buildings were also destroyed by fire in 1925, just before the
Methodist Church became a part of the United Church of Canada.
From J. W. Nichols, A Century of Methodism in St. John's,
Newfoundland, 1815-1915 (St. John's, 1915).