Customs House/King's Beach
The photo on top shows the St. John's customs house at King's Beach before it was destroyed in the 1892 Great Fire. The photo on bottom shows the same area in 2011. Note that the street has been straightened. The ruins of the customs house, which were partially uncovered during construction of the new harbour interceptor sewer in 2006-2009, are located underneath the Newfoundland War Memorial and the section of Water Street in front of it, approximately where the War Memorial steps can be seen at the right of the 2011 photo.
Top photo courtesy of the Archives and Manuscripts Division, QEII Library (Coll. 137.02.04.019), Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL.
Bottom photo courtesy of Keith Collier, Maritime History Archive, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL.