TB Patients at Jensen Camp
Tuberculosis patients on the deck of Jensen Camp. Jensen Camp was opened in 1916 through the efforts of Mrs. Adeline Browning, wife of Hon. John Browning, and named for Private Philip Jensen of Harbour Breton. Jensen was a soldier in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in the First World War (believed to be one of the first Newfoundlanders to enlist) who raised over $5,000 for the camp and the Red Cross through lecture tours.
Jensen Camp was closed in 1921 and the patients transferred to the Topsail Road sanatorium in St. John's.
Photo courtesy of Newfoundland and Labrador Collection, Provincial Resource Library, A.C. Hunter Library, St. John's, NL.