Gower Street Church, 2011
Gower Street United Church was rebuilt on its old site in the late 1890s after it was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1892. Built of red brick in the Romanesque style, it is notably different from the Gothic churches, such as St. Thomas' Anglican Church and St. Patrick's Catholic Church, that dominated ecclesiastical architecture through much of the 19th century. The church originally had a 40-foot steeple, which has since been removed.
Photo by Keith Collier. ©2011, Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site.