General Hospital patients, post-1880
Few health-care services existed in Newfoundland and Labrador at the start of the 19th century. Resident doctors were rare, especially outside St. John's, and the colony's only hospitals belonged to the British military. The General Hospital (pictured here) served as a military institution until 1870, when Britain transferred its garrison from St. John's to Halifax. The facility reopened a year later as the Forest Road Hospital and became the General in 1880.
Photographer unknown. Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll. 190 04.06.006), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John's, NL.