Grand Falls, ca. 1917
The town of Grand Falls came into being almost overnight after the Anglo-Newfoundland Development (AND) Company opened a pulp and paper mill there in 1909. An uninhabited wilderness at the turn of the 20th century, the community boasted a population of 1,634 by 1911.
Photographer unknown. Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll. 137 20.02.006), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John’s, NL.