Cabot Tower and Isolation Hospital, n.d.
The Ross's Valley Hospital (pictured right), opened on Signal Hill in the 1890s to isolate fever, smallpox, and epidemic patients from the general public. Its remote location, however, made it difficult to reach and the facility rarely received patients. It was destroyed by fire in 1911 and never rebuilt.
Photographer unknown. Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll. 137 02.08.002), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John's, NL.