New Methodist Church, Bonavista, ca. 1870.
The first church constructed in Bonavista was opened in early 1814. It was replaced in 1851.
Within 20 years this second church was in a sorry state, and the congregation
decided to build larger church, with seating for 800 worshippers. This church was opened in 1871.
From Charles Lench, The Story of Methodism in Bonavista, and of the Settlements visited
by the Early Preachers (2nd ed. St. John's, 1919). Adapted by Liza Piper.