Church of England Cathedral, St. John's, 1871
The foundation stone was laid in September 1847 and the nave was consecrated in
September 1850. The nave served the Anglican community for 35 years until the transept
and choir (missing in this drawing) were completed in 1885. The cathedral suffered severe
damage in the Great Fire of 1892.
Image published in Canadian Illustrated News, April 1, 1871. From Charles
de Volpi, Newfoundland: a Pictorial Record (Sherbrooke, Quebec: Longman
Canada Limited, ©1972) 117.