The Bow Wow Parliament, 1832.
The drawing, entitled "The Speaker Putting the Question" by John Doyle (or H.B., his pen name) caricatured the Newfoundland
House of Assembly as a pack of unruly dogs. Doyle has the Speaker put the question
to the members: "As many as are of that opinion say ...Bow! Of the contrary ...Wow! The Bows have it."
Published in March 30, 1832, this was a
prediction (not a description) of what Doyle thought the House of Assembly would be
like since it did not open until January 1, 1833.
Courtesy of the Centre for Newfoundland Studies Archives, Memorial
University of Newfoundland Library, St. John's, Newfoundland.