Society and Culture
Folklore and Traditional Culture

Language

Community

Ethnic Diversity

Religion

Anglican

Roman Catholic

Moravian

Methodist

Congregational

Presbyterian

Salvation Army

Pentecostal

Church Architecture

Education

Built Environments

Mass Media








The first Anglican bishop was Rev. Aubrey George Spencer.

Rt. Rev. Edward Feild, a high churchman, succeeded Spencer in 1844.

In 1918 a Newfoundlander, the Rev. William White, became bishop for the first time.

Confederation with Canada changed the direction of the Anglican Church in Newfoundland.
The Church of England
(Anglican Church)

When Sir Humphrey Gilbert claimed formal possession of the island of Newfoundland for Queen Elizabeth in 1583, he ordained that “Religion, in publique exercise should be according to the Church of England”. But for much of the 17th century, the presence of Anglican clergymen was sporadic at best. The Rev. William Leat appears to have served briefly at John Guy's colony at Cupids Cove. The Rev. William James spent a few weeks at Ferryland in 1622, and the Rev. Erasmus Stourton was there in 1627-28.

Though petitions were sent repeatedly to the British government requesting that a clergyman be sent, it was not until 1697 that the Rev. John Jackson became chaplain to the garrison in St. John's , and minister to the settlers. A small church was built near Fort William. A controversial figure, Jackson remained in Newfoundland until 1705. He was the first clergyman to receive assistance from the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (SPG) - which for the next two centuries was to provide crucial funding and encouragement to Anglican clergymen, missionaries and schools.

Church of England Cathedral Church of England Cathedral, St. John's, 1871.
The foundation stone was laid in 1847 and the nave was completed in 1850.

Published in Canadian Illustrated News, April 1, 1871. From Charles de Volpi, Newfoundland: a Pictorial Record (Sherbrooke, Quebec: Longman Canada Limited, ©1972) 117.
Larger Version with more information (74 kb).

In the 18th century, Harbour Grace, Bonavista, Trinity and St. John's were the most important Anglican missions, although clergy did travel to the other outports. Sometimes there was no clergyman on the island at all, particularly in the early part of the century, and there were never more than three at any one time. The longest serving of the early Anglican clergymen was the Rev. Edward Langman, who arrived in 1752 and died in St. John's 31 years later.

Hitherto a mission under the authority of the Bishop of London, Newfoundland was transferred to the bishopric of Nova Scotia in 1825, becoming an archdeaconry in 1829. The first episcopal visit was that of Bishop John Inglis in 1827. There were ten Anglican clergy in the colony at that time. He held confirmations, consecrated churches and arranged for new churches and schools to be built. On a return visit in 1832 Inglis performed the first ordination on the island, that of Rev. Thomas M. Wood. In 1839 a separate bishopric of Newfoundland and Bermuda was created. The first Anglican bishop was Rev. Aubrey George Spencer, who took office in 1840.

Rev. Aubrey Spencer.
Spencer was the first Anglican bishop of Newfoundland from 1841 to 1844. The painting was presented to Spencer by Miss F. J. Crowdy of Farmham, Surrey, England.

From Owsley Robert Rowley, The Anglican Episcopate of Canada and Newfoundland (Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Morehouse Publishing Company, 1928), 214.
Larger Version (24 kb)
Bishop Spencer

Under Spencer's leadership the number of clergy more than doubled. He created three rural deaneries (Avalon, Trinity, Bermuda), increased the number of church schools, founded what later became Queen's College (for theological training), and planned the building of a cathedral in St. John's. He was succeeded in 1844 by the tireless, formidable Bishop Edward Feild.

Unlike Spencer, Feild was a high churchman. In matters of doctrine, ritual and architecture, he sought to emphasize the Church's Catholic tradition. Administratively, he sought to strengthen the Church's independence and integrity, and to improve its financial position. Concerned by the spread of Methodism, he opposed any cooperation in joint Protestant endeavours, including nondenominational Protestant schools. He consistently agitated for an exclusively Anglican school system, which was finally instituted in 1874. Each summer he travelled the coasts of Newfoundland and Labrador, and missions were established in areas hitherto neglected, such as Labrador and the west coast. Feild was the effective architect of the Church of England in Newfoundland, and his physical monument is the fine Gothic Revival cathedral in St. John's, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott.

The Rt. Rev. Edward Feild, D.D. The Rt. Rev. Edward Feild, D.D.
Feild was the second Anglican bishop of Newfoundland from 1844 to 1876.
From Owsley Robert Rowley, The Anglican Episcopate of Canada and Newfoundland (Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Morehouse Publishing Company, 1928), 216.
Larger Version (23 kb)

Feild's successors built on his foundation. In 1918 a Newfoundlander became bishop for the first time, the Rev. William White. Bermuda became a separate diocese soon after, and the Newfoundland Church decided not to accept further financial support from the SPG. In 1948, by mutual agreement, the Church was placed under the authority of the General Synod of the Canadian Church. In 1976, the diocese was restructured into three dioceses (Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador, Central Newfoundland and Western Newfoundland).

St. Luke's Anglican Church, Newtown.
St. Luke's Anglican Church in Newtown, Bonavista Bay, was built in 1895.
Reproduced by permission of Brian Bursey ©1997. From Brian C. Bursey, The Newfoundland and Labrador Souvenir Book (Manitoba: Friesen Printers, 1997), 19.
Larger Version (23 kb)
St. Luke's

BISHOPS OF THE DIOCESE OF NEWFOUNDLAND

1839-1843 Aubrey George Spencer
1844-1876 Edward Feild
1876-1877 James Butler Kelly
1878-1917 Llewellyn Jones
1918-1942 William Charles White
1942-1955 Philip Selwyn Abraham
1956-1965 John Alfred Meaden
1965-1975 Robert Lowder Seaborn


Liza Piper, © 2000 Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site

Updated July, 2006.


Partnered Projects Introduction - Table of Contents Site Map Search Heritage Web Site Home