Coffins for dead sealers, April 1914
Shortly after learning of the Newfoundland disaster on 2 April 1914, the Newfoundland and Labrador government ordered that 100 coffins be made for the dead sealers. The coffins pictured here are in the basement of the Grenfell Building in St. John’s, which also served as a temporary morgue for the sealers.
Photographer unknown. Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll. 115 16.04.084), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John’s, NL.