The Edmund B. Alexander, 1941
The Edmund B. Alexander arrived in St. John's harbour on January 29, 1941 carrying almost 1,000 American troops. Hundreds of Newfoundlanders lined the waterfront to greet the soldiers and to watch the steamer pass through the Narrows. The Edmund B. Alexander was the largest ship to visit St. John's up to that time.
Photographer unknown. Reproduced by the permission of the Maritime History Archive (PF-306.749), Memorial University, St. John’s, NL.