A Presbyterian school at St. John's, n.d.
A Presbyterian school at St. John's, n.d.

When the Commission of Government assumed power in 1934, the Anglican, Roman Catholic, and Methodist Churches played a central role in the administration of education in Newfoundland and Labrador. They had the power to accept students on a denominational basis, hire or dismiss teachers, and influence what was taught inside their schools.

Photographer unknown. Reproduced by permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll. 137 02.03.005), QE II Library, Memorial University, St. John's, NL.
Natural Environment - Table of Contents Site Map Search Heritage Web Site Home