Fort McAndrew, 1942
During the Second World War, Fort McAndrew served as a base for an infantry company, a seacoast artillery group, an anti-motor torpedo boat battalion and an anti-aircraft artillery company. The American Army’s main function there was to defend the neighbouring naval and air base in Argentia.
Photographer unknown. Reproduced by the permission of the Archives and Manuscripts Division (Coll. 109 5.01.006), Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University, St. John’s, NL.