Amulree Report Project
Introduction

In June 2002, Robert Hong, BA (Hons., MUN), MA (History, MUN), approached the Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site with an offer to provide us with a digitized version of the Amulree Commission Report. Earlier in the year he had entered the entire document into a word processor with the intention of making it available to the public in an electronic format. Once we were satisfied with the accuracy of the electronic version, we were delighted and thankful to accept Robert Hong's offer.

In most cases, what appears in the following web pages (whose links are in the left side bar) is the text and layout as we received it. So in the Table of Contents, for example, the page numbers on the right refer to the page numbers as they appeared in the written document. The hot-linked headings will take the visitor to the appropriate section on the web site.

There is one notable exception. A series of 65 black and white photographs are incorporated into the web site version. These photographs were part of the final report, but were presented in their own album.

Photo Album Cover.
Album cover of photographs furnished to the Newfoundland Royal Commission, August 1933.

Courtesy of the Centre for Newfoundland Studies Archives (Coll-207), Memorial University of Newfoundland Library, St. John's, Newfoundland.
Larger Version (35 kb)

They have been embedded into appropriate locations on the web site to provide a visual representation, whenever possible, of places mentioned in the 1933 report. The images mainly depict the architecture and landscape of Newfoundland outport communities, several of which have since been resettled. There are a number of images of northern Labrador showing the rugged terrain along the coast.

None of the photographers are identified, but 36 of the images are known to have been taken by the noted Newfoundland photographer Robert Holloway (1850-1904) or by Holloway's studio. Most of these images likely date from the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. The remainder were probably taken in the year 1933. They are aerial photographs, and according to the CNS Archives where the images are held, they are possibly the work of two different photographers.

© 2002 Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site


Partnered Projects Government and Politics - Table of Contents Site Map Search Heritage Web Site Home