Introduction

The Governorship,
1610 - Present


Profiles of Governors

Government House

Bibliography


Sign Guestbook
Play Games

A Partnered Project of the Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site, Memorial University of Newfoundland.



Paddon, Hon. William Anthony (1914-1995)
Lieutenant Governor, 1981-1986

Paddon was born on July 10, 1914 in Indian Harbour, Labrador. He spent his childhood in North West River and Indian Harbour where his parents provided medical services for the International Grenfell Association. He was educated in the United States, at Lenox School in Massachusetts, Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, and at the New York State Medical School. As a medical student, Paddon assisted his father, Dr. Harry Paddon, aboard the Grenfell hospital ship called the Maravel. After finishing his medical degree, in 1940, and internship, at St. Luke's Hospital in New York, Paddon joined the Canadian navy. Following World War II, he returned to Labrador where he served as assistant medical officer with the Grenfell association. In 1947, he took over the running of the hospital at North West River, a position his mother, Mina Gilchrist Paddon, held since his father's death in 1939. He was also responsible, during this time, for the administration of a facility for infants and a boarding school for Labrador children. In 1960, Paddon became director of the Grenfell association and remained in the post until his retirement in 1978. In 1977, he received an honorary doctorate from Memorial University and the following year was made a Companion of the Order of Canada. In 1981, he was appointed lieutenant governor.

Paddon was the first native Labradorian appointed to the post. His term lasted five years. After completing his service, he divided his time between North West River and Newfoundland, and, in 1989, published his autobiography called Labrador Doctor: My Life with the Grenfell Mission. He died on January 5, 1995.

Updated February, 2008

<< Previous Governor | Next Governor >>





Site and Contents ©2000, Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site Project,
Memorial University of Newfoundland unless otherwise stated.
Home Home Search Site Map Top of Page Home Search Site Map