Natural Environment: Crossword Puzzle
The crossword puzzle below is comprised of words taken from
various articles written on the 'Natural Environment' of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Since all of these articles have not yet been placed upon our web site, we have included
a link in the sidebar to the solutions. We hope you find this crossword puzzle
enjoyable and educational.
To select a word, click your mouse on any block which comprises that word. The blocks of the
selected word are highlighted in yellow and the current block is highlighted in blue.
Also, the clue for the selected word will appear at the top of the crossword puzzle.
You can change the orientation (Across/Down) at any time by pressing the space-bar. Letters
are entered via your keyboard and the current block will advance by one with each letter
you type, until you reach the end of the word. Incorrect letters are displayed in red, while
correct letters are shown in black. If you type an incorrect letter, you can
either use the backspace key on your keyboard or simply click in that block and re-type the letter.
Since Java applets cannot be printed, we have included a link to a
printable version in the sidebar.
1. Began two million years ago in NF and Lab.
3. Prehistoric mining site in NF
5. 360 million years ago (Period)
9. First link in the marine food chain
11. Site of coldest recorded NF temperature (-41C)
14. Delayed heating and cooling
15. Type of tree which grows in taiga biome
17. Site of large nickel discovery in 1995
20. Made an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987
21. Stone used by many NF and Lab. aboriginal societies
23. Ancient North American continent
24. Site of NF pyrophyllite mine
25. Site of mid-19th century whaling factory
2. 410 million years ago (Period)
4. 200 million years ago (Period)
6. Area drained by a stream or river
7. Melted mantle rock
8. Subsoil which remains below freezing point
10. NF bay rich in copper showings
12. First european whale hunters in N.A.
13. A tree that sheds its leaves
16. Uses the energy of flowing water
18. Plutonic rock
19. Site of coldest recorded Lab. temperature (-54C)
22. Similar to pyrophyllite
Abbreviations Used in Clues:
- NF - Newfoundland
- Lab. - Labrador
- N.A. - North America
- UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
The clues and words used in this crossword puzzle are also contained in the
'Natural Environment' hangman game.
If you cannot see the game above, Java may not be enabled on your browser.
Please visit the Fun and Games Troubleshooter.