Back to Article
St. John's

Detail of a Map of St. John's, 1784.
This map shows Fort Townshend and Fort William. The expansion of the military garrison in Newfoundland resulted in an increased resident population.

Legend
A. Fort Townshend
B. The Town
C. The Church
D. Fort William

Courtesy of the Centre for Newfoundland Studies Archives (Coll - 193, 12.04.070), Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland.

Back to Article
Exploration and Settlement - Table of Contents Site Map Search Heritage Web Site Home