18th century British Map of Placentia.
The two forts which are indicated, Fort Frederick and the New Fort, were constructed by the
British in the first half of the 18th century. The New Fort was located upon the
site of a former French fortification, Fort Louis.
From D.W. Prowse, A History of Newfoundland from the English, Colonial, and
Foreign Records, 2nd edition (London: Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1896) 276.