1871 Moravian Map
Moravian Map, 1871.
In 1752 Moravian missionaries made their first attempt at establishing a mission station on the Labrador coast. This early attempt, and three subsequent efforts in 1764, 1765 and 1770 were all unsuccessful. In 1771, the Moravians returned to Labrador and established a mission at Nain which became both a permanent settlement and the Moravian headquarters in Labrador.

Map drawn by Bishop L.T. Reichel. Published by Leopold Kraatz, Berlin 1871. Reproduced courtesy of
Dr. Hans Rollman, Department of Religious Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland.
Exploration and Settlement - Table of Contents Site Map Search Heritage Web Site Home