Moravian Map, 1871.
In 1752 Moravian missionaries made their first attempt at establishing a mission station on the Labrador coast.
This early attempt, and three subsequent efforts in 1764, 1765 and 1770 were all unsuccessful.
In 1771, the Moravians returned to Labrador and established a mission at Nain which became both a permanent
settlement and the Moravian headquarters in Labrador. From there the Moravians extended their activities
both north and south, establishing mission stations at
Okak in 1776, Hopedale in 1782, Hebron in 1830 and Zoar in 1865.
The trans-Atlantic route travelled by the Moravians is also indicated on this map (Schiftsweg).
Map drawn by Bishop L.T. Reichel. Published by Leopold Kraatz, Berlin 1871. Reproduced
Dr. Hans Rollman,
Department of Religious Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland.