From "Discovery" to the Treaty of Utrecht (1713)
The islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon were officially discovered by the
Portuguese navigator, Joas
Alvarez Fagundes on 21 October, 1520. It seems likely that Basque and French
already using the islands by then and had given them their present name.
Certainly Jacques Cartier, who stopped there on his return to France
during his second voyage in 1536, referred to the islands as St.
The rich fishing grounds near the islands attracted
European fishermen who came and went with the fishing season. Though
tradition maintains that settlers appeared early in the 17th century,
there is no evidence for this until the second
half of that century. A resident population gradually developed when fishing
crews began to over-winter in order to maintain the facilities for the
migratory fishery. The earliest reference to settlers appears in a document
of 1670, when the
intendant of New France, Jean Talon, stopped and recorded
13 fishermen and four sedentary residents.
||Jean Talon (1625-1691), n.d.
Talon was the first intendant of New France.
Artist unknown. From Thomas Chapais, The Great
Intendant: a Chronicle of Jean Talon in Canada, 1665-1672
(Toronto: Glasgow, Brook & Company, 1914) 6.
Gradually, with the encouragement of French outfitters, the French
administrators at Plaisance (Placentia), and the bishop of Québec, St.
Pierre began to grow. Three families were recorded there in 1687, a chapel
was constructed in 1689, and a small military post was established in 1690.
By then, St. Pierre was the principal supply and service centre for the south
coast region from the Burin Peninsula west to Bay d'Espoir. Fortune and
Hermitage Bays, where small numbers of French fishermen had settled, were
described in French manuscripts as "bayes dependantes" of St. Pierre.
also brought the unwelcome attention of France's enemies, with the result
that St. Pierre was attacked several times during the wars
between 1689 and 1713. By 1708, the stress of these attacks had caused the
inhabitants to abandon the islands. When the Treaty of Utrecht (1713) brought
these wars to an end, France gave up its claims not only to Newfoundland but
to St. Pierre, Miquelon and the accompanying islands as well. For the next
50 years, St. Pierre was an English possession. Even the name was
anglicized to "St. Peter's."
© 2001, Olaf Uwe Janzen.