Responding Personally to Historical Information
Reverend Lester R. Burry (1898-1977) served as a United Church minister in
Labrador. He was an ardent promoter of the
confederate cause and was a delegate to the National Convention.
Carefully examine these
two short speeches
he gave to the National
Convention and complete the exercises below.
- What are the facts of the situation?
- In your opinion, why is this situation going on?
- Do you think Lester R. Burry's reaction to Michael Harrington is justified? Explain.
- Given what Lester R. Burry said, what things did he
consider to be important?
- What evidence is there to support your opinion about what he considered to be important?
- Let's assume you were an anti-confederate sitting in the
audience when he gave these speeches. Would your views
or position change? Why, or why not?