|This web site is best
viewed with Netscape 3+ or Internet Explorer 3+
PART 6: CLOSURE
- reflecting and writing feelings and opinions
- BLM 6-1: Talking It Over (one copy per group)
- BLM 6-2: Personal Reflections Prompt (one copy per student)
Grouping - small groups of 4 or 5
Grouping - individuals
- Have groups of four or five students choose a leader.
- Ask the leader of each group to read the Talking It Over questions aloud
so that the members of the group can discuss each of them.
- Circulate among groups to ensure that each student participates in his or
her group's discussion and has an opportunity to talk and to listen.
- After the Talking It Over discussion, ask each student to complete a
Personal Reflections sheet, describing thoughts and feelings about what he
or she has learned during "Let the People Decide."
Evaluate the Personal Reflections: Do they demonstrate:
- that students have grasped the concept of a referendum?
- clearly expressed ideal?
- empathy for the voters of Newfoundland?
- understanding of the consequences of the referendum?
- understanding of the role of the press in the referendum campaign?
Students can also evaluate their own and others' participation in the referendum process. Did they:
- use opportunities to gather information on the issues, so that they could vote responsibly?
- consider and question all the arguments?
- use their right to vote responsibly in the referendum?