Pool Plantation, Waterfront

Pool Plantation, 1638 – 1696
Pool Plantation, 1638 – 1696.
Reproduced by permission of the Colony of Avalon Foundation, Ferryland, Newfoundland, © 2001.

Sometime after mid-century, perhaps following the Dutch raid of 1673, the waterfront warehouse was dismantled and replaced by a large stone barn or byre. The south wall of the warehouse was incorporated into this feature and the floor level raised by about 60cm (two feet).

Large Stone Barn or Byre.
Reproduced by permission of the Colony of Avalon Foundation, Ferryland, Newfoundland, © 2001.
Larger Version (42 kb)
Large Stone Barn or Byre

The cobble floor of the byre is pitched toward the center to collect waste that was channeled through the stone wall and into a drain that ended in the privy. The lower right-hand photograph shows the south end of the privy rebuilt to accommodate the drain from the cow-house.

Cobble Floor of the Byre The Cobble Floor of the Byre.
Reproduced by permission of the Colony of Avalon Foundation, Ferryland, Newfoundland, © 2001.
Larger Version (48 kb)

Drain at the South End of the Privy.
Reproduced by permission of the Colony of Avalon Foundation, Ferryland, Newfoundland, © 2001.
Larger Version (70 kb)
Drain at the South End of the Privy

Just outside the cow house was a dump that contained many milk pans, suggesting that dairying might have taken place nearby. On the floor of the cow-house was a tobacco pipe of West African origin, nearly identical to one from the HMS Saphire, a ship burned by her crew at Bay Bulls in 1696.

Milk Pan from the Byre Dump    West African Tobacco Pipe from the Byre Dump
Milk Pans (left) and a West African Tobacco Pipe.
Both images reproduced by permission of the
Colony of Avalon Foundation, Ferryland, Newfoundland, © 2001.
Larger Version of milk pans (52 kb). Larger Version of pipe (30 kb).

© 2002, Colony of Avalon Foundation


Next Stop: Pool Plantation, Later Period

Top of Page




Partnered Project Heritage Web Site Project
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Heritage Web Site Project Site Map Search Home Site Map Search Home Visiting the Colony of Avalon Artifacts Archaeology History of the Colony of Avalon Previous Stop Next Stop The Forge - Panoramic The Forge Listen to Dr. Tuck's audio tour Tour Map