The Artifacts
Interpretation Centre Museum

Bottle seals

Miscellaneous Artifacts
Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Pipe makers' marks

Artifact Explorer







Miscellaneous Artifacts: Page 5

Click on the thumbnail to view a larger version.

Brass friendship ring (Fld-168)
Brass friendship ring from the late 17th century bearing the inscription "BE TRUE IN HART" on the inside.

Brass shoe buckle (Fld-439)
Brass buckle, probably a shoe buckle, dating from the late 17th century.

Small glass bottle (Fld-146)
Small glass bottle, on the cowhouse floor at the time it burned in 1696. It may have been used to hold medicine or perfume.

Foot of a wineglass (Fld-409)
Foot of a wineglass dating from the first half of the 17th century. Although wineglasses are rare on 17th-century sites in England, a number have been found at Ferryland.

Wineglass stem (Fld-414)
Wineglass stem dredged from The Pool can be dated stylistically to the early 17th century, or the time of Avalon.

Plum pits (Fld-177)
Plum pits were discarded in the privy throughout the 17th century. The plum trees found on the Ferryland site and throughout the southern Avalon Peninsula today are descended from plums brought by the first settlers at Avalon.

Small chert arrowpoints and a large chopper or blank (Fld-330)
Small chert arrowpoints and a large chopper or blank, associated with Beothuk Indian hearths dating from the early 1500s.

Unusual tobacco pipe (Fld-427)
Unusual tobacco pipe, thought to be West African in origin. A near-identical pipe was recovered from the wreck of the HMS Sapphire at nearby Bay Bulls. The Sapphire and the cowhouse where the Ferryland example was found were both destroyed in 1696. The pipe may have come from Virginia as a novelty, or may indicate the presence of people of African origin at Ferryland during the late 17th century.

Gold finger ring
Gold finger ring consisting of a fine chain, two small bands and a twisted gold wire, found in a layer dating to the last years of the 17th century. It may have been lost during the French attack on September 21, 1696.

Gold finger ring with cross-hatched decoration
Gold finger ring with cross-hatched decoration, found only 2 m from the other ring and probably lost at the same time. The two rings are of different sizes.

©1999, James Tuck
Archaeology Unit, Memorial University of Newfoundland

Top of Page





Partnered Project Heritage Web Site Project
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Heritage Web Site Project Site Map Search Home Search Home Site Map Visiting the Colony of Avalon Archaeology History of the Colony of Avalon Walking Tour