The Artifacts
Interpretation Centre Museum

Bottle seals

Miscellaneous Artifacts
Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Pipe makers' marks

Artifact Explorer







Miscellaneous Artifacts: Page 1

Click on the thumbnail to view a larger version.

Locks (Fld-213)
top-Lock from a 17th-century "snaphaunce," so called because its action resembled the pecking of a chicken. First half of the 17th century.
bottom-An English "dog lock," so called because a small dog, or catch, held the cock in place and prevented the musket from discharging accidentally.

Lead shot (Fld-201)
A few of the thousands of pieces of lead shot recovered from all areas of Ferryland. They range in size from small bird shot to cast musket balls up to .75 calibre. None appear to have been spent.

Cannon shot (Fld-005)
Some of the cannon shot recovered from within and around the privy on the waterfront. They are thought to date from the Dutch raid on Ferryland in 1673.

Elizabethan "basket-hilt" sword (Fld-464)
Fragments of an Elizabethan "basket-hilt" sword were found in a deposit of refuse that originated in the forge during the early years of Avalon.

Roof slates (Fld-006)
Roof slates from more than 5,000 slates recovered from the waterfront warehouse. The building was built in the 1620s and destroyed in 1673.

Iron object (Fld-186)
One of a number of iron objects of unknown function found primarily on the waterfront. They seem too elaborate to have been "pews" or prongs for moving fish and may be some sort of builders' hardware.

Iron pick and shoe for a wooden shovel (Fld-163)
Although this iron pick (bottom) and shoe for a wooden shovel date from the second half of the 17th century, similar objects were used in the construction of the original Colony of Avalon and throughout the century.

Hand vise (Fld-057)
Blacksmith's hand vise found in the forge that was in use between 1622 and mid-century. The screw tightened the jaws on small objects being forged, not unlike today's vise-grip pliers.

Shears (Fld-053)
Blacksmith's shears from the Avalon forge. The smaller arm fitted into a hole in a workbench, allowing the smith to operate them with one hand while holding the workpiece with the other.

Lead weight (Fld-176)
Lead weight from the warehouse floor, with the remains of an iron hook at the top.

©1999, James Tuck
Archaeology Unit, Memorial University of Newfoundland

Top of Page





Partnered Project Heritage Web Site Project
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Heritage Web Site Project Site Map Search Home Search Home Site Map Visiting the Colony of Avalon Archaeology History of the Colony of Avalon Walking Tour