St. Andrew's Anglican Church (Brooklyn)
The building of St. Andrew's Church in Brooklyn began in 1867 and was completed in 1879. Caleb Marshall designed and built the Gothic revival church, with some help in its construction from his brother, David, and members of the congregation. Local men provided the building materials, which they cut from the surrounding forest and sawed into timbers and lumber with pit saws.
© 1998 Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
The work of local artisans is prevalent inside the church. The chancel, windows and door are all locally hand crafted. It seems likely the Anglican missionary group, the Society for the Propagation of the Bible in Foreign Parts, donated items such as Bibles, the altar, stained glass and bells.
St. Andrew's was the mother church in the area, serving the communities of Goose Bay, Brooklyn, Lethbridge Bloomfield, Musgravetown and Cannings Cove. When a visiting clergyman arrived for a service, local people raised the Union Jack on Goose Head to notify the neighbouring communities. Parishioners would flock to the service on foot over the ice floes during the winter and by boat the rest of the year. The other communities eventually built their own churches, but St. Andrew's remains a centre of Anglican worship.